Powers & Functions
The Office of the Mayor is administered by Cllr Minah Bahula in his capacity as the Mayor of Makhuduthamaga Local Municipality. The Mayor is charged with the overall responsibility of providing political leadership to the Municipality on behalf of the ruling party, the African National Congress. The Mayor appointed eleven (11) councillors to the Executive Committee to assist him in delivering his political mandate. The members of the Executive Committee serve as heads various portfolios in line with the Council approved alternative service delivery organisational structure. Important tools have been put in place to ensure optimal decision-making processes, that is, the approved Standing Rules and Orders of Council (which defines specific powers allocated to the Mayor) and the Executive Committee system (to ensure an efficient committee system).
The Council has also approved the Municipality's Five-year Strategic Plan.
The Five-year Strategic Plan outlines the following five key strategic objectives to drive
the Municipal's service delivery programme:
- To provide quality basic services and infrastructure
- To facilitate higher and shared economic growth and development
- To fight poverty and build clean, healthy, safe and sustainable communities
- To foster participatory democracy and Batho Pele principles through a caring, accessible and accountable service
- To ensure good governance, financial viability and optimal institutional transformation with the capacity to execute its mandate
Mr Moropa Mogobadi Eric, as Municipal Manager, heads the administration. He is supported by a team of executive directors and managers providing executive and mayoral support. Together with the Mayor they have established the Office of the Mayor as a strong centre to ensure smooth management of the political and administrative.